Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rainbow Street Art and Unity


For July 4th in celebration of Yellow Springs Pride and a show of support several local artists created rainbow yarnbombs/craftbombs.  
On  Friday July 20th 6:30am a smartly dressed man (locals who saw him didn't recognize him) hacked down all the yarnbombs on the trees with a knife. 
Beautiful crochet bird mobile by  Nenee
On Mon 23rd or Tues 24th several more were removed from the metal poles.
 Many in the community (and some out of towners) responded Saturday morning. Not with hatred, or anger, but with joy in community, in diversity, in sharing. 
Many making and sharing their yarn, felt or beautifully crafted items for all who wished to participate. 

Even the garden gnomes embrace diversity ;)
Cutting down the yarnbomb art only seems to have strengthened community spirit.

Mohandas K. Gandhi
"I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stifled. I want all the cultures of all lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any."