Monday, December 20, 2010

Irwin Abrams, Peace Prize Winner dies.




Irwin Abrams (1914-2010) was Distinguished University Professor Emeritus at Antioch University. He was regarded as one of the world's leading authorities on the Nobel Peace Prize and the history of the international peace movement. He appeared frequently on radio and television, including CNN, National Public Radio, BBC, and the CBC, and was often cited in the international press. His books included The Nobel Peace Prize and the Laureates: An Illustrated Biographical History, 1901-2001, the authorized edition of the Nobel Peace Lectures, 1971-2005, and Words of Peace

I didn't know him very well, but we had talked a few times. I had no idea when I first met him who he was as I blabbed on about world peace and current issues, etc. He never said a word lol! Such a humble man, and I could tell he was a very special and kind person.  He gave me a small book called  The Words of Peace, which I continue to find inspiring.
This world was blessed with his presense and I hope that his family are comforted in knowing he meant so much to so many people, even in small quiet ways.

Statement from Antioch University Abroad
If you would like to send a condolence card to Irwin’s family, please contact us for the address.
In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations in Irwin's name be made to the Steve Cary Leadership Fund.

Yellow Springs News Obituary